I’ve wanted my Linux server (Arch Linux 2.6.30-ARCH) to act as a wireless access point. I had to overcome a few issues while configuring the access point. I will be using WEP as encryption for my new wireless access point.

I had to install a few packages before I could start:

pacman -S bridge-utils hostapd wireless-tools

Here you can see my NIC and my wireless pci card:

4 root@archserver $ lspci | grep Ethernet
00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 10)

Arch Linux comes with the ath5k module for this wireless card, unfortunately I wasn’t able to put my wlan0 into Master Mode with this module.

I needed the ath_pci module, which is delivered by madwifi. So I’ve executed:
pacman -S madwifi

So in order to put my wireless into Master mode I’ve commited a few necessary changes.
First of all, I had to blacklist the default ath5k module. You can do this by modifying your /etc/rc.conf file.
Change the MODULES array of your rc.conf, and make sure an note of exclamation is present before ath5k. This module has been blacklisted now.

16 root@archserver $ cat /etc/rc.conf | grep MODULES
# MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Prefix with a ! to blacklist.
# NOTE: Use of 'MOD_BLACKLIST' is deprecated. Please use ! in the MODULES array.
MODULES=(!ath5k)

Then I’ve inserted the new module who supports Master Mode into the Linux kernel. Executing iwconfig ath0 mode Master did not give any error.

modprobe ath_pci
iwconfig ath0 mode Master

Now you have to modify /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf in order to use ath_pci with the ap option (for access point).

alias ath0 hostap_pci
options ath_pci autocreate=ap

After that I had to modify /etc/rc.conf, Arch Linux its main configuration file. I’m using dhcp for eth0. The interfaces array declares all the available interfaces. (deuh!) The bridge device is named br0, and it will be a bridge between eth0 (wired) and ath0. (wireless)

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
br0="br0 192.168.0.101 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0 ath0 br0)

Changing /etc/conf.d/wireless or /etc/conf.d/bridges gave me some trouble, I’ve decided to edit /etc/rc.local (the multi-user start-up script.) This is my /etc/rc.local:

29 root@archserver $ cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local: Local multi-user startup script.
modprobe hostap_pci
iwconfig ath0 mode master essid phar0z key A1B3C5D7E0 channel 1
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 ath0
brctl addif br0 eth0
ifconfig br0 up
dhclient br0
dhclient eth0
/etc/rc.d/sshd restart

You may have noticed I prefer dhclient above dhcpcd.

pacman -R dhcpcd && pacman -S dhclient

I noticed there wasn’t a good Arch-oriented access point guide on the net. As you can see this configuration worked fine for me:

30 root@archserver $ brctl show br0
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.00179a76b010 no ath0
                        eth0

Now I will scan for wireless essids on my Ubuntu laptop. I execute iwlist wlan0 scan on my notebook:

wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:15:E9:F5:62:58
Channel:1
Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm
Encryption key:on
ESSID:"dlink"
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
Bit Rates:9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=000002936e5e2181
Extra: Last beacon: 4300ms ago
IE: Unknown: 0005646C696E6B
IE: Unknown: 010882848B960C183048
IE: Unknown: 030101
IE: Unknown: DD0600032F010001
IE: Unknown: 2A0100
IE: Unknown: 32041224606C
IE: Unknown: DD0900037F010100060000
IE: Unknown: DD0C00037F020101DB0002A44000

Cell 02 - Address: 00:17:9A:76:B0:10
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=70/70 Signal level=-27 dBm
Encryption key:on
ESSID:"phar0z"
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
Bit Rates:24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=00000003c300c12a
Extra: Last beacon: 4040ms ago
IE: Unknown: 000670686172307A
IE: Unknown: 010882848B0C12961824
IE: Unknown: 030106
IE: Unknown: 07064E4149010D14
IE: Unknown: 200100
IE: Unknown: 2A0100
IE: Unknown: 32043048606C
IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101830002A3400027A4000042435E0062322F00
IE: Unknown: DD0900037F01010034FF7F

“dlink” is the essid of my router, whereas “phar0z” is the essid of my own software access point on my server.

I’ve changed my /etc/network/interfaces file on my Linux laptop.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# wireless
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
gateway 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
wireless_essid phar0z
wireless_key A1B3C5D7E0
auto wlan0

Then I ran /etc/init.d/networking restart. And this is the new output of iwconfig wlan0

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"phar0z"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:17:9A:76:B0:10
Bit Rate=24 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:A1B3-C5D7-E0 Security mode:open
Power Management:off
Link Quality=62/70 Signal level=-26 dBm Noise level=-127 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Everything is working fine.

phar0z

Advertisements